Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 6, 2003
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Stereo - French
- DTS - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: BENEATH THE SURFACE
- Audio Commentary: John McTiernan - Director
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Selection
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Alec Baldwin, Scott Glenn & Sean Connery|
|Performer:||James Earl Jones, Sam Neill, Tim Curry, Joss Ackland & Timothy Carhart|
|Directed by||John McTiernan|
|Edited by||Dennis Virkler, John Wright & Peter Zinner|
|Screenwriting by||Larry Ferguson, Robert Garland, John Milius, David Shaber & Donald Stewart|
|Composition by||Basil Poledouris|
|Story by||Tom Clancy|
|Produced by||Mace Neufeld|
|Director of Photography:||Jan de Bont|
Academy Awards 1990 - Best Sound Effects Editing
...There's an amiable smartness to the underwater thriller THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER....The production is clean and effective....The undersea intensity is captured perfectly...
Los Angeles Times
Rating: 2/4 -- Red October is an idealized, dreamy fantasy of life in the business world-harmless as airplane reading, a bit dull on the big screen. Full Review
Like the nuclear submarine it's named after, The Hunt for Red October is big, shiny, and expensive. But it's also hard, cold, and cumbersome, just when it's trying hardest to be likable and even friendly. Full Review
Christian Science Monitor
...The payoff is electrifying...
Though Hunt shows fitful signs of life, it lacks the human drama of Das Boot, the technical dazzle of The Abyss and the old-fashioned brio of Run Silent, Run Deep. Full Review
You may not be limp from accumulated tension when this hunt is over, but its cautiously upbeat global message leaves a satisfying glow and it operates with a crackerjack premise. Full Review
Los Angeles Times
It's to McTiernan's credit that so much of this is made intense. Every silence on board the Russian sub, whether they're squeaking through a narrow underwater canyon or sending out a single sonar ping, seems occasion to hold your breath. Full Review
In the tradition of DIE HARD and PREDATOR, director John McTiernan presents audiences with yet another techno thriller: THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. Sean Connery plays Captain Marko Ramius, a dissatisfied Russian commander who navigates his submarine towards America in an attempt to defect. Soviet intelligence claims that Ramius is a warmonger and that he plans to launch nuclear missiles at the United States. Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin), an iconoclastic CIA agent, believes otherwise: American spies have determined that the submarine is powered by a stealth engine. In order to save the "caterpillar drive" and avoid a nuclear incident, Agent Ryan must board the Red October and assist Captain Ramius in its navigation to U.S. waters. Both murky and captivating, the underwater visual and sound effects are reminiscent of DAS BOOT. Once again director McTiernan produces a winning film with a jagged plot, a well acted script, and plenty of explosions.
- The role of Captain Marko Ramius was originally to have been played by Klaus Maria Brandauer.
- Shot in Los Angeles and San Diego, California; Alaska; Puget Sound in Washington State; Leningrad and Moscow, Russia. Color by Technicolor. Began shooting April 3, 1989. Released in USA March 2, 1990.
- Approximate budget $30 million, of which Sean Connery reportedly received $4 million. Tom Clancy received $600,000 for the rights to his novel.
- Among the writers who reportedly worked on the script were Robert Garland, David Shaber, and John Milius.
- Followed by a sequel, "Patriot Games" (1992), starring Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan.
- Available to buy in the UK.
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Sales Rank: 544
- UPC: 097360564044
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item