The Shawshank Redemption
Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 22 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 15, 2007
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Castle Rock
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.85
- Dolby Surround 5.1 English
- Dolby Surround Stereo 2.0 French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Tim Robbins & Morgan Freeman|
|Performer:||Bob Gunton, William Sadler, James Whitmore, Gil Bellows, Mark Rolston & Clancy Brown|
|Directed by||Frank Darabont|
|Edited by||Richard Francis-Bruce|
|Screenwriting by||Frank Darabont|
|Composition by||Thomas Newman & Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart|
|Art Direction by||Peter Lansdown Smith|
|Story by||Stephen King|
|Produced by||Niki Marvin|
|Director of Photography:||Roger Deakins|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'm a regular Sears and Roebuck"
- Red (Morgan Freeman), the man on the inside who "knows how to get things"
"First you hate 'em. Then you get used to 'em. After long enough, you get so you depend on 'em. That's institutionalized."
- Red, referring to the prison walls
"The funny thing is--on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook."
- Andy (Tim Robbins)
Rating: 5/5 -- One of the best out of the 1990s, and a towering force of dramatic power amongst films of its kind. Full Review
Father Son Holy Gore
A tough, complex story [told] with clarity, compassion and considerable dramatic force. Full Review
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
...Extremely satisfying entertainment....[A] provisional masterpiece... -- Rating: A-
Freeman, who is simply a great actor, a man who has never struck a false note in his career, both narrates this tale and anchors it with his authoritative playing. Full Review
...[The pairing of Freeman and Robbins] sparks moments of true grace and emotion...
Rating: 4/4 -- Simply marvelous entertainment. Full Review
...A slow, gentle story of camaraderie....THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION has its own brand of iconoclasm...
New York Times
In writer-director Frank Darabont's THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison for the murders of his wife and her lover in the late 1940s. However, only Andy knows that he didn't commit the crimes. Sent to Shawshank Prison to do hard time, Andy--a taciturn banker in the outside world--has to learn to get by in the brutal, cutthroat confines of prison life. His quiet strength slowly earns the respect of his fellow inmates--most notably, Red (Morgan Freeman)--and even much of the prison staff. But Andy's seemingly stoic acceptance of his unjust imprisonment hides a fierce determination for freedom. This beautifully crafted movie features touching and sincere performances from the entire cast, with an uplifting message about humanity's indomitable spirit and the redemptive value of hope. Based on the novella RITA HAYWORTH AND SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION by Stephen King, Darabont's intriguing adaptation is easily one of the finest films of the 1990s.
When an innocent man is sentenced to life in prison for murder, he thinks his life is over. However, despite years of brutal incarceration, his indomitable spirit makes him an inspiration to everyone he encounters.
- Theatrical realease: September 23, 1994.
- Shot in Ohio and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- The script didn't originally call for a black man in Morgan Freeman's role. However, director Frank Darabont thought it would be funny not to cut a line that seemed to indicate the original intentions: When Tim Robbins's character asks Morgan Freeman why he's called Red, Freeman answers, "Maybe it's because I'm Irish," then gives Robbins a quizzical look and a wink.
- The role of Tommy Williams (played by Gil Bellows) was originally intended for Brad Pitt.
- Darabont's following film, THE GREEN MILE, is also based on Stephen King tale involving a prison setting.
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2-DVD) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$6 Super Savings
Guyana: Crime of the Century (1979) / Carlos the Terrorist...
$3.98 Super Savings
Rare Christmas TV Classics - Volume 2 (The Gift / The...
$5.95 on Sale
Vintage Thrillers Collection (The Most Dangerous Game /...
$4.98 on Sale