by Various Artists
|You Save:||$0.68 (4% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Run Time: 1 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 29, 2017
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Shout Factory
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: "Hype! 20 Years After" Featuring new interviews with members of Mudhoney, Soundgarden, and The Fastbacks, Record Producers Jack Endino and Steve Fisk, Manager Susan Silver, and Photographer Charles Peterson
- New Audio Commentary by Director Doug Pray
- Vintage Interviews and Performances
- Peter Bagge's Animated Short, "Hate"
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
- Dolby Digital 5.1
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Featured:||Mudhoney, Gas Huffer, The Posies, Soundgarden, Flop, Nirvana, The Young Fresh Fellows, Seaweed, 7 Year Bitch, Supersuckers, The Melvins, The Gits, Coffin Break, Dead Moon, Jeff Ament & Chris Cornell|
|Directed by||Doug Pray|
|Edited by||Earl Ghaffari, Doug Pray & Joan Zapata|
|Produced by||Lisa Dutton, Pete Vogt & Steven Helvey|
|Director of Photography:||Robert Bennett|
Superb sound and image quality and a complex, intelligent perspective help make HYPE! An engaging as well as thoughtful chronicle of the Seattle rock scene...
...A smart, ironic documentary....HYPE! charts the rise of grunge and its enormous impact on the Seattle scene...
A clever chronicle of the commodification of the Pacific Northwest's celebrated "grunge" rock scene, whose members were lifted out of underground obscurity and propelled into the national spotlight--sometimes to their surprise--after the major-label success of the seminal grunge-pop trio Nirvana. Features rare interviews and performances from the gamut of grungesters, from the candy-pop stylings of The Posies to the rage rock of riot grrrls 7 Year Bitch and the country-punk swaggering of the Supersuckers.
Filmed over a 3-1/2 year period, "Hype!" takes a close, hard look at Seattle's "grunge" music scene, from its origins in the basements of young musicians in the 1980s to its worldwide popularity in the early 1990s, thanks largely to Nirvana's song "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Interviews and performance footage of Seattle musicians (both famous and unknown), provide insight into the history of grunge, most notably its effect on the music industry, and its exploitation by the media.
Clips And Highlights | History | Documentary | Theatrical Release | Rock | Pop / Rock | Rock Bands | Concert Footage | Interviews | Live Performances
- Shown at the 1996 Sundance Film Festival.
- Released theatrically in New York City November 8, 1996.
- Additional credits: Lisa Dutton and Pete Vogt (co-producers); Joan Zapata (editor).
- Other music bands featured include The Posies, 7 Year Bitch, Flop, Love Battery, The Melvins.
- The film was shot over a 3 1/2 year period.
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2-DVD) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$6 Super Savings
WWII - On Common Ground: The Battle of the Huertgen Forest
$3.98 Super Savings