Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Criterion Collection)
A love story... With strings attached!
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$26.10 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.85 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Rated: NC-17
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 19, 2014
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Criterion Collection
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: New 2K digital restoration, supervised by director Pedro Almodóvar and executive producer Agustín Almodóvar
- New documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with Pedro Almodóvar; Agustín Almodóvar; actors Antonio Banderas, Victoria Abril, Loles León, and Rossy de Palma; production manager Esther García; and cinematographer José Luis Alcaine
- New interview with Almodóvar collaborator and Sony Pictures Classics copresident Michael Barker
- Conversation from 2003 between Pedro Almodóvar and Banderas
- Footage from the film's 1990 premiere party in Madrid
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: a 1990 piece about the film by Pedro Almodóvar and a conversation between critic Kent Jones and filmmaker Wes Anderson
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - Spanish
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Antonio Banderas & Victoria Abril|
|Performer:||Loles León, Francisco Rabal, Julieta Serrano, María Barranco & Rossy de Palma|
|Directed by||Pedro Almodóvar|
|Edited by||José Salcedo|
|Screenplay by||Pedro Almodóvar|
|Composition by||Ennio Morricone|
|Cinematography by||José Luis Alcaine|
Rating: B -- A curiously uplifting watch despite such a morose subject-matter. Full Review
Ozus' World Movie Reviews
Rating: C+ -- An off-kilter - and off-putting - mix of humor, sex, and Stockholm Syndrome obsession. Full Review
Lessons of Darkness
Rating: 2.5/4 -- Almodovar's polarities are so perfectly lined up in opposition to my own that it is quite possible for one of his movies to shoot right through my brain without striking a single cell. Full Review
Rating: C+ -- Though this controversial film about romantic, sado-masochistic love in the hetero world is weak and ultimately disappointing, it's still worth seeing for understanding Almodovar's evolution. Full Review
Rating: 3.5/4 -- One of those movies that makes you laugh if you sit back and absorb the entire absurd situation at once. Full Review
[T]he film inverts the cult of the rebel, celebrating its cast of misfits with palpable warmth.
Sight and Sound
Rating: 3/5 -- Typically nutty and passionate Almodovar
Capital Times (Madison, WI)
Antonio Banderas caught the world's attention with his portrayal of Ricky, an orphaned mental patient who stalks and kidnaps Marina (Victoria Abril), a porn actress and junkie, in order to make her love him in this decided departure for iconoclastic Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar. Suspense, tension, and uneasy humor mingle as Marina grapples with her addictive nature, a very bad toothache, and her own confusion about the need to be loved and the need for freedom. Meanwhile, Máximo (Francisco Rabal), an aging director who has just shot Marina's latest film, finds himself obsessed with her, while sister Lola (Loles León) worries Marina might be back on drugs and starts trying to track her down. The tension mounts as her sister closes in, and Marina becomes torn by her desire to escape and her growing affection for her captor. Almodóvar followed up his hit WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN with this controversial, steamy thriller that contains nudity and some very passionate sex. The cast includes Almodóvar regulars Rossy de Palma, Julieta Serrano, and María Barranco and features a tense musical score by Ennio Morricone.
Convinced she would love him if she only knew him, an orphaned mental patient kidnaps the object of his obsessive desire--a recovering drug addict and porn star. As much captive of his desire as a captor, his longing for love is a longing to be tied down...one way or another.
- Filmed in Madrid, Spain.
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Criterion...
$26.10 Super Savings
The Trilogy (On the Run / An Amazing Couple / After Life)...
$3.98 Super Savings