|SUPER SAVINGS:||$13.30 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.68 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 30, 2000
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS Surround 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes
- Behind the Scenes:
- "On the Moon: Behind the Moonlight"
- "Spotlight on Location: The Making Of MAN ON THE MOON"
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- R.E.M. - "Man on the Moon"
- R.E.M. - "The Great Beyond"
- Scene Selection
- Hidden Features
- Biographies: Andy Kaufman - Subject
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito, Courtney Love & Paul Giamatti|
|Performer:||Vincent Schiavelli, Leslie Lyles, Peter Bonerz & Norm MacDonald|
|Directed by||Milos Forman|
|Edited by||Lynzee Klingman, Adam Boome & Christopher Tellefsen|
|Screenwriting by||Larry Karaszewski & Scott Alexander|
|Cameo:||Paul Shaffer, Marilu Henner, Lorne Michaels, David Letterman, Carol Kane, Judd Hirsch, Christopher Lloyd & Jerry Lawler|
|Produced by||Danny DeVito, Stacey Sher & Michael Shamberg|
|Director of Photography:||Anastas Michos|
Rating: 2.5/4 -- Ends up asking more questions than it answers. Full Review
Big Picture Big Sound
Rating: 5/5 -- A teeming, fast-paced spin through a particularly strange show-biz life. Full Review
Rating: 2.5/4 -- Superficially clever yet profoundly shallow. Full Review
Globe and Mail
...Carrey scores mightily in an eerily spectacular make-or-break performance that nails the public persona of [Andy Kaufman]...
...What is most wonderful about MAN ON THE MOON, a very good film, is that it remains true to Kaufman's stubborn vision....The film has a heroic performance from Jim Carrey...
Rating: 3.5/4 -- The crowning performance of Jim Carrey's career. Full Review
Rating: 4/5 -- Makes you unsure whether you have learned more (or absolutely nothing) about this mysterious and undoubtedly talented man. Full Review
In a remarkable and touching performance, Jim Carrey tones down his usual idiosyncrasies to play late avant garde comedian Andy Kaufman in MAN ON THE MOON. In life, Kaufman was a complex, controversial, and, at times, insane performer, and Carrey captures this, as well as the subtle nuances of his more toned-down private life. Director Milos Forman stages faithful recreations of Kaufman's pranks, method-like immersion in characters, and even scenes from TAXI, the hit TV show that made him a star, but also follows the comedian through his tragic diagnosis with cancer and his loving relationship with his girlfriend Lynne Margulies (Courtney Love). Danny DeVito, Kaufman's real-life TAXI co-star, plays George Shapiro, the manager who discovers him and is willing to put up with all his antics, acknowledging Andy's wry genius. Along the way on his self-made rocky road of stardom, Kaufman reinvents himself as a foreign man who mangles jokes, and as Elvis; lip-syncs the MIGHTY MOUSE cartoon theme after a full minute of dead air time on Saturday Night Live; becomes a "professional" wrestler, and subsequently manages to sabotage his TV career. The supporting cast in MAN ON THE MOON is excellent, including Paul Giamatti has his comedic partner-in-crime, and many members of the real cast of TAXI.
- The title MAN ON THE MOON refers to an R.E.M. song about Andy Kaufman from the album AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE.
- Director Forman could not decide between Edward Norton and Jim Carrey for the lead role, so he left it up to the studio.
- Jim Carrey and Andy Kaufman were both born on January 17.
- The role of Andy's sister, Carol Kaufman, was played by Andy's granddaughter, Brittany Colonna.
Beyond the Mat (Ringside Special Ed. - Unrated Director's...
$8.70 Super Savings
Andy Kaufman: I'm From Hollywood / My Breakfast With Blassie
$10.80 Super Savings
Vintage Thrillers Collection (The Most Dangerous Game /...
$4.98 on Sale
The Haunted Castle (1921) / Wolf Blood (1925) (Silent)
$5.95 on Sale